Monday, May 29, 2006

05/29/06 - In Memorium: Alex Toth 1928-2006


How sadly appropriate for Memorial Day. Alex Toth is a name many of the younger readers of this blog won't recognize...that is a shame because his lean, illustrative, almost journalistic art style has influenced countless numbers of current "fan favorites". Mr. Toth passed away early Saturday morning, apparently working at his drawing table (an admirable work ethic for a man of 77 or 78!). Two of my favorite blogs have posts about the man and his art:
http://www.linesandcolors.com/2006/05/28/alex-toth/
http://drawn.ca/2006/05/28/alex-toth-1928-2006/

I encourage those of you who aren't familiar with him to study the work of an expert, if not master, of the comic art form. Regrettably, I never had the pleasure to meet and talk with him and feel saddened by the lost opportunity. Something to consider next time you go to a comic con and rush to stand in line to talk with today's "hot" artist while ignoring some of the industry's historic figures.

If anyone out there has any personal stories or just thoughts on how Alex Toth has affected their work; I for one, would love to read them....

1 comment:

  1. Toth along with Eisner really taught me what sequential illustration should be. Everyone else is just trying to get where those two were. Granted, there's hundreds of talented artists working in the medium today, but no one close to Toth and Eisner when it comes to page compositon and storytelling.

    When I was a kid, I was already being influenced by Alex Toth and didn't even know it. All those cartoons I watched incessantly, 'Space Ghost', 'Thundarr the Barbarian', 'Herculoids', 'Super Friends', were all designed by Toth. So I can probably say that his work was the first I came to recognize as a child. I could tell that all those cartoons were linked even at a relatively young age.

    So I guess I can say Toth's work is the first work I 'recognized'. Today I can look at a piece of work and probably name the penciller and inker. So getting to know Toth's work at an early age really helped me develop my artistic eye.

    He'll be missed, but it's good to know he went out the way a master should....at the drawing table.

    ReplyDelete