Saturday, June 30, 2007
While the pages are a bit rough around the edges it was fun to churn out something so quickly. It was also a hoot to play off the creativity of the the other cartoonists. I think we all agreed that this was something we should keep up. The basic exercise is a variation of the "Quanto Comics" one Scott McCloud suggests in his book Making Comics, chapter one.
Thursday, June 14, 2007
1st CCG (Lexington KY Comic Creators Group) Gallery Hop Event
Anyway in an effort to expose and promote our group while being able to create art in a different and hopefully collaborative atmosphere, we have been trying to find a place for any of us to draw comics in a public environment.Maybe this will even draw out some of you closet extroverts to come to a CCG event! Please send us feedback on this...
Some of the possibilities....
- Large scale comics
- Interactive comics (leave panels, word balloons, thought balloons, or captions empty and invite participation by visitors)
- Immersive comics (including passersby or actual events in the story)
- Big group jam page (strawberry is really good, oh no not that kind of jam) think jazz music, improvisational and collaborative...
- Big group doodle page (no stress here - just go to town or be laid back - whatever!)
- Contact me or Wolf if you are interested (or just show up if you are a commitment-phobe!) and to get more info.
- Thinks BIG and BRING your own supplies ...just in case we don't have your favorite marker. You may consider white foam core board if you want to work big on a wall. Sharpies are cheap but bold.
- PLEASE - nothing TOO MESSY! (We want to be able to come back if we like the space!)
- We should have a large table so the regular scale paper and supplies should be OK too.
- Be ready for something different - you can do it the same old way at home!
WHERE: (subject to change call there or the contacts to be sure)
- Common Grounds Coffee House, 343 E High St, Lexington, KY 40507, (859) 233-9761 Upstairs "conference room"
WHEN:(subject to change call there or the contacts to be sure)
- Friday June 15th, 5:30 - 8:30p
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
"the Experts" #3 in June 2007's PREVIEWS Catalog
• JUN073767 F THE EXPERTS #3 (MR) (page 326)
"What's the story with the Experts gaudy new
threads... and god-awful new attitudes?
Dive head-first into the mysteriously creepy origin of
the draconian Doctor Delta.
Also, as a back-up feature, travel back in time to the
age of the Gods and meet the luscious Love Lantern!
Criminals can't resist her!"
• By Kenn Minter & Clarence Pruitt
• Color cover • 32 pages (black and white) • $3.49 (cover price)
the Experts blog
Saturday, June 02, 2007
Here are some classes coming up soon:
Living Arts and Science Center
Session 2 (June 11 - 15)
22. Comics and Cartoons With Duane Keaton
Have you ever dreamed of writing your own comic book? Now’s the chance! You will learn to draw some of your favorite characters in both western and Japanese Manga styles. We will create page layouts, storyboards, bind the books together and by the end of the week you will have a comic book of your own.
Grades 6th - 8th 9 am - 12 noon $60(m), $70(nm).
Session 3 (June 18 - 22)
44. Comic Strips! With Kevin Clapp
Students will learn the stages of creating a comic strip, and everyone will create their own. By week's end, everyone will pick their favorite works to be compiled into a short comic book!
Grades 6th - 8th 1 - 4 pm $60(m), $70(nm).
Session 4 (June 25 - 29)
54. Animation Techniques With Frank Boyer
Improve your figure drawing skills by learning more about proportions and action. Then we’ll learn about drawn, paper, claymation, and computer animation techniques while making our own animated shorts. Each student will receive a disk and videotape of all class projects.
Grades 6th - 8th 9 am - 12 noon $70(M), $80(NM).
60. Comic Strips! With Kevin Clapp
Students will learn the stages of creating a comic strip, and everyone will have the opportunity to create their own. By week's end, everyone will pick their own favorite works to be copied and compiled into a short comic book!
Grades 6th - 8th 1 - 4 pm $60(m), $70(nm).
And even more, check their website....
camp carnegie 2007
for rising 6th, 7th, & 8th graders
DIGITAL ILLUSTRATION AND STORYTELLING
Mon-Fri July 23-27 8:30 am-12:30 pm
Want to learn how to create your own comic book or illustrated story? Learn how to create digital illustrations on the computer.Pair your illustrations with text to create your very own story... then bind your work and walk away with your own story! All supplies will be provided; participants will have access to computers and a printer. Taught by Aaron Hutson.
- Joe Kubert School Of Cartooning: 3-year programs (trade school)
- Center for Cartoon Studies: 2-year associate degree program, summer programs
- Savannah School of Design: bachelors degree in Sequential Art, Illustration, and others
- Kubertsworld: currently six course to choose from